On August 12, 1863 fifteen Norwegian men in the area northwest of Elk Point, South Dakota formed the first Lutheran Congregation in Dakota Territory under the name of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation. Later others joined. Services were held in various homes in the area for 5 years. In 1867 Missionary P. Ashjornson visited the area and by request from the Brule people a congregation was formed. The name to be St. Paul Lutheran Congregation. In 1868 the log church was then built on the site of the present St. Paul Cemetery. Rev. J. J. Nesse was the first resident pastor. In 1869 the first parsonage was built. The ladies of the St. Paul Congregation organized a Mission Society at the home of Rev. J. J. Nesse January 6, 1872 for the furtherance of Mission work. In 1877 a second church was built to replace the log church. In 1893 a chapel known as North St. Paul was built northwest of Richland to accommodate the many members living there. It was discontinued in 1933. The present edifice was built in 1922. The congregation has been served by twenty pastors.